Like the rest of the world, AF&O is heartsick over the devastation caused by and left in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, one of the worst natural disasters ever to hit the US. Thousands are believed to be dead. Many, many more people are homeless and/or have lost just about everything they had. The impact will be felt by the entire nation, but particularly by the southern states hit so ferociously, for years. The visuals I have seen and the stories I have read and heard about the dead and suffering in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Florida, and Georgia (which was hit by a tornado spawned by Katrina) have rendered me all but speechless.
All I can say is this: Please pray or send healing thoughts to those left homeless or struggling due to the disaster — positive energy during this crisis can only help. And if you can afford to do so, please donate to worthy disaster-relief efforts. Recovery cost will be staggeringly high — any amount you can give will help and is needed.
- The American Red Cross (1-800-HELP-NOW) is always there in a crisis. It needs your assistance NOW.
- Feed the Children has a fund specifically designated for providing food to Katrina victims.
- The American Humane Association is working to help animals Katrina left stranded and alone.
- You can also contribute to the Blogcritics Katrina Disaster Fund.
- Many more legitimate options are available via Network for Good.
Again, please help in any way you can. It is time for the world to pull together to help those in serious need. Thank you, and special thanks to all the rescue workers on the job.